Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Pumpkin time

Got some foam dollar store pumpkins... Time to make a mess.
They're not very big, but they'll do just fine for what I have in mind.
Cutting the eyes is easy with a paring knife. It also shows you how small they really are.
Once the eyes were done it was time to figure out a mouth.
To plan it better, I drew the mouth on the pumpkin. Since it's going to be painted when it's done, it didn't matter if I strayed from the original line as I carved.
After carving everything, I hastily gave the edges a dark base coat. It didn't have to be perfect, just something to cover up the stark white foam look that was everywhere.
Then, I played around with ideas for painting.
As you can see, my first pumpkin got the raggety andy treatment... or maybe Dia De Los Muertos... either way, it turned out great. As it gets dark, I'll be putting a glow stick into the small hole I made in the bottom so it spooks the dog. Should be fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment