Friday, November 9, 2012

Home is where the barn is



Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

A plain, weathered board that was once a shelf. It's seen better days but had the PERFECT look for what I'm about to share.

I mentioned on Facebook that I went shopping yesterday with an awesome friend and came away with ideas. (Broke people don't get to shop too much. lol)

I saw a sign that said "Home is where the barn is"

It cost about $30... on sale for about 50% off... beautiful sign though.

It looked like it was stenciled paint and vinyl with some cheap rope on a "distressed" board.

So I came home and looked around, found a few supplies and went to town on it.




I have a Silhouette Cameo. (I'm in love with it by the way.)

I did a quick search for some vector graphics and dug through my pile of remnant vinyl.
(Remnant vinyl on eBay is great. You can get a variety of colors and textures without committing to a huge amount of it.)

I grabbed gold, burgundy and a navy blue.


Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App 

PS... Don't mind the mess. My work area is so small that I can never get things clean.

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App 

I don't have a lot of transfer tape just laying around so I did the letters on by one. (Which gave it a nicer look anyhow. Sometimes hand laid letters don't look so mechanical)

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App 

Notice how the gold of the horse has bumps in it from the shelf not being smooth? I think it adds to the vintage look.

  Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App 

Now, it's getting cuter. the colors play well with the old look. But it needs some rope and some blue.

A little hot glue and some of that think hemp string that's used for jewelry making (or grab some bailing twine if you have it!!! I didn't have any handy )


Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App 

PS... they're for sale if someone wants them! Email me for info!

No comments:

Post a Comment